Aug 21, 2010

close calls and life's reminders..

I'm kind of a mixed bag of emotions this Saturday afternoon...
I'm reflecting on the joy of celebration and the worry of what might have been.


My youngest daughter graduated with her AS in Medical Assistanting last night...A natural scholar she is not.  She scooted her way through each grade by the hair of her chinny, chin, chin.  Her natural talents lie elsewhere. 
 She is wonderful with sick people, the underdog and just about anybody who doesn't seem to fit in.  She never wanted to be one of the crowd...even made me put three ponytails in her hair (instead of the standard one or two) in first grade...


My parents made the hour drive in to be apart of the celebration...On their way home, last night, they had a very close call on the freeway...I'm convinced God's angels kept them from a potentially bad accident...They were badly shaken up and their car sustained some damage but thankfully, they were not hurt.  


 
I share this in praise of God, (the alternative to them being safe is beyond what I can wrap my mind around right now) and as a not so gentle reminder that this life is short. 
The outcome could easily have been very different...
It could have been anyone of us...


 
"Look here, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year.  We will do business there and make a profit."   How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow?  Your life is like the morning fog.  It's here a little while, then it's gone.  What you ought to say is, "If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that."  Otherwise you are boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil.  Remember it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it."  James 4:13-17

Celebrate today for the gift it is...Do some good for someone in need...Thank God for the chance to live another day!

Thankfully blessed,

20 comments:

Merana Leigh said...

I'm so thankful that your parents are ok & everyone realizes the value of their lives. And I'm thankful that your daughter marches to the beat of her own drum...with a loving heart. Hugs ~ Merana

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I'm so glad your parents are okay and your post is a great reminder that all we really have is this moment...thank you for this. And hey..your dgt sounds incredible.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Great post and so glad that they are o.k.

Daughter of the KING said...

Congratulations to your daughter… I enjoyed your post and the lovely photos. Glad your parents are safe. True words - we do not even know what the hour holds.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower.

Blessings,
Linda J

Gayle said...

This touched my heart. I have parents who are constantly traveling somewhere. So glad yours are safe, and congratulations to your daughter.

NanaDiana said...

Thank you for the reminder that we are but a speck of dust on this Earth and our future lies in the hands of the Lord. I am glad that your parents are okay...and hope they are not too traumatized by what happened to them.

I work in a hospital and some of our VERY BEST nurses are those that squeaked through nursing school. I even wrote a letter for one of them; to the head of nursing school championing her cause. She is almost through now and will be an absolutely wonderful nurse. There are all kinds of smart nurses in the world..but not all of them have compassion and kindness. I will take one of the latter ones over the genius ones any day! God bless her as she starts her career! Diana

Diane said...

Another wonderful post...so glad all is well!!!

Jo said...

Congratulations to your daughter. I know that you are very proud of her. When someone has to work hard to achieve their goal that will make a parent very proud. Hope your parents are doing alright. We always know that GOD IS IN CONTROL. He is so wonderful to us. Hope you have a blessed weekend.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation and praise God that your parents are OK. So thankful that they were not hurt. A car can always be repaired. Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. Love & blessings from NC!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Glad to hear that your parents were fine, and congrats to your daughter's graduation, Thank God for keeping us all safe and well! Thanks for sharing!

Charlotte said...

Boy, it is so true. Life is fragile. I'm so glad your parents are OK and I think your daughter is a very special person. I know you are proud of her. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Thanks be to God.

Heather Rogers said...

Tell your daught conratulations for me. I bet she is so happy to be finished. :)

I am so glad your parents are okay. I know they are shaken but you are correct, that is better than the alternative. :)
Hugs,
Heather

Virginia said...

Congratulations to your daughter… And Praise the Lord that your parents are ok.
God is good....
Joy & Blessings,
Virginia
.

Beverly @ My Sew Sweet Studio said...

Oh, Patty. Thank the Lord your parents are okay.
Good reminder of Who is in charge.
Congratulations on your daughter's graduation.
Hope you are having a blessed Sunday.

Mevely317 said...

Congratulations to your daughter! I love what you wrote about her 3rd pigtail -- a "mini maverick" with perseverance to follow her dreams!
I sense the whole family is still shaken by your parents' near-miss? I've nothing remotely profound to offer, Patty - but my own thanks to God ... and a big hug.

Saleslady371 said...

I'm hitting the pause button with you, Patty. It is good to reflect on God's protection and realize His angels are ministering to us. Our lives are in His hands. Congrats to your daughter; she sounds like a gem.

Renee said...

so glad your parents were protected and kept safe in such a bad situation...and congrats for your daughter!

Darlene said...

AMEN!!!
I'm so glad your parents are OKAY!! I can only imagine what a scare it was for you all!
Congratulations to your daughter and thanks for sharing all these lovely photos ... LOVE YOUR STUFF!!

Jayne said...

Wow, I'm so glad your parents are okay too, I bet they were very shaken. Congratulations to your daughter too. I wish her the best in her future endeavors.