Nov 7, 2009

gentle rhythm... (D)

I love the gentle rhythm of our home in the morning. I am an early riser, a morning person by nature so I'm usually the first one up...the coffee is started...my quiet time...Andrew stirs...cereal, fruit and juice for a hungry munchkin...Sesame Street...hubby comes home...nudge Jess out of bed...leave for work. Nothing profound, not that different from your house I'm sure but there is something comforting about the routine of it all.

my fall front porch...

my daughter's and their families...a sick ninja and a sweet strawberry...

My devotional this morning was from Exodus 20:1-6, "I am the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt, the place of your slavery. You must not have any other god but me. You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea. You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children; the entire family is affected even children in the third and fourth generation of those who reject me. But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands."

This is one of those scary verses until you realize what God is truly saying. The word, "lay the sins" or "visit the sins", means to take a census or head count. According to my devotional, Beth Moore's - Believing God, "In other words, when a parent practices sin and rebellion, God can take a census in that family and find those continuing results."

God takes a census of passed on sins from generation to generation. He knows the pattern of our heritage...what we do as sin by habit is passed down from generation to generation. That's why it is so important to examine our lives and break free of generational sin. Every family has generational sin, whether it be greed...addiction...sexual sin...anger...bigotry or whatever. These are habitual, generational sins that we pass on.
The good news is that faith is also passed on from generation to generation. Our sincere faith and trust in God is passed on from generation to generation. Most importantly God's lavish, unfailing love is passed on from generation to generation.

Our life rhythms influence future generations. What is mine saying? How about yours?

Blessings,

Patty

No comments: